Monday, December 31, 2007

Brian Billick fired as Ravens Head Coach

















The "Offensive Genius" has been fired. Brian Billick was fired today by Steve Bisciotti, a few weeks after the owner said he would bring Billick back. "I just changed my mind," the owner told The Baltimore Sun on Monday. "I can't explain it to you. It's the toughest decision I've had to make." Billick was hired in 1999 after a successful stint as Minnesota Vikings offensive coordintor. The hope was Billick would build the same style offense in Baltimore that he had in Minnessota to go along with an already stellar D. However, like Tony Dungy & Marvin Lewis, the opposite happened. Under Billick's rule the offensive was never great or even good for that matter, but the defense was stellar and Billick rode that defense to a victory in Super Bowl XXXV. In Billick's defense, Baltimore was never able to find a "franchise QB." Instead Billick was forced to work with a group including: Elvis Grbac, Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer, Kyle Boller, Anthony Wright, and an old Steve McNair. Billick was 80-64 as Ravens coach.

I doubt Billick will be out of a job for long. If I'm Atlanta or Miami I am seriously considering Billick as the head man.

0 comments: